Office chairs and armchairs quickly get dirty. They are spoiled by dust, dirt, stains of ink, drinks, and cosmetics. Even accidentally spilled clean water remains messy divorces. How to return the upholstery to its original presentable appearance? How can I clean office chairs and chairs? We offer a detailed guide to self-cleaning upholstery and frame, as well as tips for removing the most frequent stains.
How do I clean the upholstery?
First, a step-by-step cleaning algorithm. Whatever cleaner you choose, follow the sequence of actions:
- Thoroughly vacuum the chair, especially in hard-to-reach places, grooves, crevices. So you get rid of dry dust and minor debris. If this is not done, the subsequent wet cleaning will turn the dust into the dirt, and it will be tough to wash it out of the fabric. Because of the dust on the upholstery, stains appear when clean water is spilled on the chair. It seems that the dirt is taken just out of nowhere, but it is wet dust. Vacuum the upholstery with a soft brush, without much pressure. Hard-to-reach areas are easier to treat with a narrow nozzle—vacuum leather chairs and armchairs delicately and only at low power.
- Prepare detergent. Be sure to test it on a small area of upholstery in an inconspicuous place. Wait until the cleaned area dries and look at the result. If the upholstery has not changed the color and structure but became cleaner, you can use the chosen cleaning method on the entire chair.
- Protect the frame from cleaning “chemistry” – cover it with food film or thick paper. Some funds on plastic and metal may remain traces. The structure should be wiped after cleaning the upholstery.
- Clean the upholstery. In the process, try not to rub it with napkins or brushes, as even on the fabric may remain scuffs. Leather coatings are even more delicate – they are easy to scratch.
- Be sure to rinse any product well with clean water. If soap, soda, or other substance remains on the upholstery, new dirt will quickly stick to it.
- Try not to wet the tissue too much, do not allow the liquid to penetrate the filler. Of course, office chairs and armchairs dry faster than lush home sofas. But even here in the wet fill, mold can start, and then there will be an unpleasant smell.
- Dry the cleaned chair as soon as possible. You do not need to iron it with a hot iron or lean against the radiator. It is enough to leave the furniture in a warm, dry, and well-ventilated room. If possible, install a fan in the room that will speed up drying.
How to clean?
Now about how you can clean the fabric upholstery of an office chair or chair. Again, there are many options; you can choose something from improvised means or buy a unique “chemistry” in the store:
- Liquid soap solution in warm water in a ratio of 1: 6. Wet a cloth napkin in it and carefully treat the entire surface of the upholstery. Then, often wearing a napkin in clean water, remove the soapy solution from the chair along with the dirt.
- A solution of household soap. Pour into a bucket of water (about 5-7 liters) about 3 tbsp—l shavings of 72% household soap. The mixture should be stirred well so that the chips are completely dissolved. Then, use it in the same way as a liquid soap solution.
- Baking soda. Make a thick gruel of soda with water and apply it to the upholstery. Leave the chair for half an hour. Remove dried baking soda with a vacuum cleaner or dry cloth. Wash off its residues by wiping the upholstery with a clean, wet cloth.
- Salt solution (3 tbsp. l per 3 liters of warm water). Moisten a napkin in it and wipe the upholstery. Then use a cloth and clean water to remove salt residues. In this way, you will not only clean the upholstery but refresh its color.
Popular options for store products are the well-known “Vanish” and special car chemicals for cleaning the cabin. They tend faster and better than home remedies but have strong and persistent odors that can spoil more than one working day. There is also a vast selection of other special preparations for cleaning upholstery in the form of shampoos, sprays, gels, aerosols. Choose “chemistry” for the price, reviews, or beautiful advertising, but be sure to try its effect on an inconspicuous area of upholstery. Even the most expensive and touted remedy may not suit your chair and spoil its appearance.
How to clean an office chair with the help of store “chemistry”? Only strictly following the manufacturer’s instructions. But do not forget to vacuum the upholstery before cleaning and cover the elements of the frame, and after it – dry well and ventilate the chair.
How to remove stains?
Most old and tired stains are removed after cleaning with ordinary household soap. Therefore, before you test aggressive stain removers on your office chair, clean it of widespread contaminants. Perhaps the spots will disappear with them. If you’re unlucky, try using a stain remover for fabrics. Then, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and test the effect of the product on an inconspicuous area of the chair.
If the stains are relatively fresh and know their origin, try to solve improvised products. For example, how to clean office chairs from different colors?
- Vegetables, fruits, juices, wine. A mixture of vinegar and ammonia (1: 1) will help. Moisten a cotton pad in the mix and gently rub the stain. Rinse off the solution with clean water.
- Blood. To remove a fresh stain, rinse the cloth thoroughly with cold water. Dried blood can be moistened for a few minutes with a saline solution and then washed off with water. If the stain is no longer removed in this way, only special stain removers based on enzymes will help. The other “chemistry” won’t work.
- Fat. If there is a lot of fat, blick it with a dry napkin and cover it with salt for half an hour. Wipe the stained area with a cloth moistened in alcohol and then with a soapy solution. Rinse off the dirt residues with clean water.
- Coffee, tea, beer. Such stains are perfectly washed off with a soapy solution. If coffee or beer does not lend itself, use a solution of vinegar in water (1: 1).
- Glue, wax. Wipe the affected area with alcohol.
- Chocolate. Removed by a cotton pad dipped in ammonia.
Note that not all stains can be removed. If the area of contamination is too extensive, if the upholstery is light, you have very little chance of eliminating dirt without a trace. In such cases, it is better to contact the dry cleaners immediately.
How to clean the frame and wheels?
Most often, the legs and armrests of office chairs and armchairs are covered with plastic. It is enough to wipe it with a clean damp cloth periodically. If the coating is already foul, use a soapy solution.
Wash the frame so soapy water does not flow inside the structure, especially into the wheel mechanism and the height regulator. Do not wash the plastic with brushes and abrasive powders – scratches will remain on it. Instead, washed and wiped dry plastic elements can be rubbed with polish, hiding micro blemishes, protecting hiking micro-scratches, and protecting the surface from dust.
Chrome frames of office chairs can also be wiped with a soapy solution without using abrasives. If there are complex contaminants, try removing them with vinegar. After cleaning, be sure to wipe the metal with a cloth moistened in clean water, and then pat dry.
If your office chair is finished with wooden elements, try not to get them. Usually, it is enough to remove dust and treat the surface with polish or wax in such cases. For noticeable contaminants, use a soapy solution, but clean the finish very quickly and immediately wipe dry so that moisture does not absorb into the wood.
A separate task is cleaning the wheels of the office chair. Because of the dirt that is stuffed into the mechanism, they do not rotate well. What can be done about it? We offer step-by-step instructions:
- Turn the chair upside down with your legs.
- Remove the wheels – they can snap off or unscrew with a screwdriver.
- With a narrow non-sharp knife, we clean dirt and debris from the gap between the wheel and the lid.
- Finally, remove winding hair with long tweezers.
- Wipe all the dirt with dry rags. If it does not succumb, you can gently rub it with a damp, firmly squeezed napkin (moisten it in water or soapy solution). In hard-to-reach places, clean the dirt with a wet cotton swab. Do not allow water to flow into the mechanism. After wet cleaning, wipe all available surfaces with a paper towel.
- Install the wheels. Securely fix them. Flip the chair over.
If you plan to clean the wheels, then deal with them first, and only then clean the upholstery and outer surfaces of the frame.
How to spoil an office chair: 5 mistakes of self-cleaning
- Rub the cleaning agent into the upholstery. This will not make the “chemistry” act better, but it can leave ugly scuffs on the surface of the upholstery.
- Clean the chair or chair partially, only where the stain. If you do not clean the entire surface of the upholstery, it will be divorced. Dust in uncleared areas will still get wet, and new spots will remain.
- Experiment with different cleaning products – mix them, apply one after another without washing off, heat with a hairdryer or iron for the best effect, leave them on the upholstery longer than indicated in the instructions. All this can lead to unforeseen chemical reactions and gruesome results. In addition, many tools are simply incompatible.
- Use on leather chairs preparations intended for fabric upheaval. First, the skin is cleaned with unique means.
- Remove stains with solvents and other chemicals with chlorine, acids, acetone, turpentine, gasoline, and other oil derivatives.
To avoid any mistakes, and at the same time save time and effort, entrust the cleaning of office chairs to our specialists. Professional technology and powerful equipment remove dirt better and safer than improvised means. In addition, after dry cleaning, the chairs and armchairs in your office will be new and last longer.